Lighthouse history

Littleisland Lighthouse – Litløy fyr, was first lit in October 1912. It is a coastal lighthouse covering the sea between Skomvær in southern Lofoten and Andenes in the north of Vesterålen. It had an altitude of 55.5 meters and a range of 20 nautical miles. The white light flashed once every 15 seconds. The lighthouse keepers’ premises were built to accommodate two lighthouse keepers and their families, as well as one bachelor. The residence was renovated in the 1950s and the 1980s.

 

Littleisland Lighthouse - second strongest lighthouse in Norway

In 1959 Littleisland Lighthouse got an electrical bulb with electricity from a diesel generator. A 1000 W bulb made it the second strongest lighthouse in Norway.

 

Private owner

The Coastal Administration sold Littleisland Lighthouse to Elena Hansteensen in 2006. She bought it in order to make it accessible to people who want to come and stay overnight or on day visits.

 

New lens

In November 2009, a new light was installed at Littleisland Lighthouse – Litløy fyr. It works on solar cells and a double LED bulb. The range is now 12 nautical miles and the new signal is one white flash every 10 seconds.

 

Centennial and a new era

Autumn 2012 was a turning point for Littleisland Lighthouse, when we opened a small guest section with two rooms for rent.

Click here for information on our rooms and rates.